USS OHIO (SSBN 726) is the first TRIDENT Class nuclear powered fleet
ballistic missile submarine and the fourth United States vessel to bear
the name of the seventeenth state of the union.
The first OHIO, a merchant schooner purchased by the Navy in 1812, was
converted to a warship and commissioned in 1813. She served on Lake
Erie during the War of 1812 in a squadron commanded by Commodore Oliver
The second OHIO was a sailing ship-of-the-line launched in 1820. She
spent most ofher 55 years of service in reserve, being reactivated when
needed. In 1838 she served as flag ship for Commodore Isaac Hull in the
Mediterranean. In 1847, she served in the Gulf of Mexico during the
Mexican War and in the Pacific Squadron on the coast of South America
and California during the gold rush days. The second OHIO was finally
decommissioned in 1875.
The third ship, USS OHIO (BB-12), was launched in 1901 and commissioned
in 1904. Designated Flagship of the Asiatic Fleet, USS OHIO (BB-12)
departed San Francisco in 1905 for Manila and served in the Asiatic
Fleet for several years. After the United States entered World War I,
OHIO acted as a training ship and operated from Norfolk. The OHIO (BB-
12) was one of the battleships that circled the world as part of
President Theodore Roosevelt's Great White fleet. She was placed in
reserve in 1919 and decommissioned in 1922.
On 28 December 1940, The name USS OHIO, BB-68 was assigned to the
Montana class battleship designed during World War II. This was to be
the second ship in a five ship class which would have been the largest
US battleship built displacing 70,965 tons full load and mounting
twelve 16" guns. The Montana class was cancelled on 21 July 1943 before
The current USS OHIO (SSBN 726) is the lead ship of the Trident Class.
Her keel was laid by Mrs. Robert Taft, wife of Senator Taft, on 10
April 1976 at Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation,
Groton, Connecticut. On 2 February 1978, the OHIO (SSBN 726)
Precommissioning Unit was formed. Commander A. K. Thompson was its
On 7 April 1979, OHIO was launched and christened by Mrs. Annie Glenn,
wife of Senator John H. Glenn. In the summer of 1981, several sea
trials were held to test the equipments, systems and ship that were to
be accepted by the United States Navy. These sea trials were an
On 11 November 1981, USS OHIO (SSBN 726) was commissioned at Electric
Boat Division in Groton, Connecticut. The principal speaker, The
Honorable George Bush, Vice President of the United States, remarked to
the 8,000 assembled guests that the ship introduced a "new dimension in
our nation's strategic deterrence." During the ceremony, Admiral Hyman
G. Rickover noted that the OHIO should "strike fear in the hearts of
our enemies." On that day, Captain A. K. Thompson assumed command of
USS OHIO (SSBN 726)(BLUE) and Captain A. F. Campbell assumed command of
USS OHIO (SSBN 726)(GOLD).
Following Post Shakedown Availability at Electric Boat Division, OHIO
left the Atlantic and transited to her new home port, Bangor,
Washington, arriving on 12 August 1982.
During August and September 1982, the first loadout of Trident C- 4
missiles on a Trident Class Submarine and a predeployment refit were
conducted. USS OHIO and her Blue Crew, departed on the first Trident
Submarine Strategic Deterrent Patrol in October 1982.
From June 1993 to June 1994 USS OHIO underwent overhaul at Puget Sound
Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington, the first for a Trident
submarine. The ship received extensive upgrades to sonar, fire control,
and navigation systems. USS OHIO resumed strategic deterrent patrols in
January 1995. OHIO has completed sixty-one strategic deterrent patrols.